VASC - Very Advanced Samba Configuration
VASC stands for Very Advanced Samba Configuration. Current version: 0.1a.
It is a set of configuration files for Samba which support a numerous amount of features. (samba maxed out)
This set of configuration files is released under the General Public License.
Samba is the OpenSource implementation of CIFS (Common Internet File System) also known as Windows File and Printer sharing.
More info on samba can be found here: The Samba Homepage
8th aug. 2002 - I'm waiting for the release of Samba 3.0, when thats released a
couple of things will be changed which i will include in this
Currently this configuration also works with debian samba version
Current version: 0.1a
Features for VASC 0.1a (Initial release):
- PDC (Primary Domain Controller) configuration
- Encrypted passwords
- Roaming profiles for win95 partially, win98 completely and win2k completely (win95 has crappy profile support)
- Dynamicly created netlogon scripts with userdefinable mounts see etc/samba/defaultshares.conf for driveletter - servershare settings dont forget to add the usershares in smb.conf, see examples at the end
- Homedir will be mounted under H:
- Profiledir will be mounted under X:
- Unix password sync, when a user changes his/her password from windows the unix password will automaticly be changed as well
- Tuned TCP send and receive buffer size, boost performance, this has been optimized for a 100Mbps switched network.
- Supports linux, Win9x, Win2k (non, sp1, sp2) clients for more details about this see SAMBA_README.txt
- Cdrom automounter, when a user accesses //SERVER/cdrom the cdrom will be automaticly mounted. It will also be automaticly unmounted when a user leaves the share.
- Printers will automagicly be read from /etc/printcap (standard samba feature)
Wishlist for VASC v1.0:
- Installer + Admin tool
- Per user/group auto-sharemounting (thru loginscripts) support w/ easy admin tool
- Automated printer installation w/ easy admin tool, eg printerdrivers reside on the serverside
VASC has been built on the default Samba 2.2.3 install of debian
3.0 (aka woody). It could work on other systems, but this has not been tested
Download VASC-0.1a.tar.gz and read the README.txt in the archive (see below)
Files in the archive
VASC-0.1a/etc/samba/scripts.conf *) $2 in the scripts.conf LOGONSCRIPT variabele will be replaced by the login name of the user
Helping me out
Wanna help me out? mail me: email@example.com
I could use some help with the easy admin tool i mentioned above and the automated printer installation system.